Ancient Chinese puppet - The foreign trader
Ancient Chinese puppets with threads:
Chinese puppets have become rare. Chinese plays can relate to very different times. The costumes worn by the puppets are extremely varied.
- The head of this puppet is carved in a soft wood, the neck is long enough to penetrate the bamboo or wicker frame forming the body. - This Chinese puppet is dressed in silk clothing, brocade, and precious fabrics.
- The feet and hands are also made of wood. The hands can either have the form of a closed fist or the open palm with a joint at the level of the fingers.
- The headdress of this puppet is made of cardboard, leather, glass beads, silk and metallic ornaments.
- Only men wear extremely varied hats, while women only wear ornaments (flowers, ribbons, jewels ...)
- This puppet is old and comes from the Chinese region of Fujian. Age: about 80 years.
The Old Theater Costume of this Puppet:
- We will find three categories of costumes: National costumes "old", the national costume "modern" and finally the foreign costumes.
- Here we have an old silk suit (about 80/90 years). By the variety of colors and the richness of the ornaments, this kind of costume plays a very important role in the eyes of the public.
- This costume is composed of silk and embroidery.
Colors of Costumes:
- The Red: Symbol of dignity and Joy.
- The Black: This color is reserved for the highest officials, it symbolizes the severity and the humble condition.
- Yellow: Symbol of the imperial family, emperors.
- White: This color is reserved for mourning. - The Rose: Color of joy, cheerfulness and finally lightness.
- Green: Color concubines but also the color of the maids.
- Blue: Symbolizes honesty and simplicity.
The puppet theater:
- The repertory of the son-puppet theater is based on extracts from Chinese operas, but it also draws on popular literature. Formerly these puppets were used in funeral ceremonies.
- They played the role of protectors, guardians of the deceased in the afterlife.
- They could also have the role of removing demons and protecting a temple, a house or even a village.
In China, these puppets have almost disappeared but they still survive in Taiwan.