Ancient pleated dress of the Miao minority
Ethnic Minority - The Miao:
- Miao minority is an important minority in China.
- The Miao are about 9 million and their distribution is relatively wide.
- Miao found mainly in southern China (Yunnan, Guizhou, Hubei, Zhuang, and Sichuan).
- The clothing of the Miao minority has features that vary from one province to another.
- Traditional costumes of different branches of the Miao ethnic group vary, though the craftsmanship needed to make the costumes always reaches the peak of perfection. Usually, making a set of traditional Miao clothes takes a Miao woman 1-2 years.
- The Miao people usually use white gunny, cotton or silk as fabric. The processing methods include simple and rustic dip dyeing, wax printing and ingenuous embroidery. In addition, bright colored and shining silver ornaments are embedded in the dresses made with the processed fabric.
- The Miao embroidery and silver jewelry are delicate and beautiful. From hats, collars, and cuffs to skirts and baby carriers, the patterns on their clothes are extremely colorful, complicated but with clean lines.