Indonesian Puppet - Wayang Golek - Hanuman - Warrior Monkey
Indonesian puppet - Wayang Golek
- The Wayang Golek is specific to the island of Java.
- It is a puppet which is used to stage the stories from the sacred book Ramayana or Mahabharata.
- The first Wayang Golek appeared at the beginning of the 19th century in Cirebon and will soon develop in the country of Sunda.
- This puppet is made of wood and is finely chiseled, hand painted. Wood, batik, embroidery and trimmings make up this puppet. The faces, hairstyles and costumes of these wayangs were influenced by the Dutch colonization.
- It is an ancient puppet not a reproduction. Purchased in Java.
- Wayang means in Indonesian "Shadow". The Wayang Golek is one of the oldest and most refined forms of Indonesian puppetry.
- In Indonesia puppets are also used during major religious holidays (to distract the gods).
- The stand is sold with the puppet.