Old Chinese transport scale with its support
- A steelyard balance is a straight beam balance with arms of unequal length.
- It incorporates a counterweight which slides along the calibrated longer arm to counterbalance the load and indicate its weight.
- A steelyard is also known as a Roman steelyard, or Roman balance.
- This Chinese Balance is made of wood, at the end of the wood there is an iron hook (for hanging food or small items).
- With this scale you will also find a counterweight which is also vintage (inscription on the face of the weight).
- The Chinese object dates from the mid twentieth century.