Old Chinese guardian lion in wood - Family
Chinese wooden statues - ancient dog fo
- Old wooden Fo dog, also called Fu Dogs or Chinese Wooden Lions, protective animals according to the Buddha Law.
- This Fo dog comes from an ancient Chinese temple located in HangZhou.
- At the origin this Dog adorned a temple door, it can be placed directly on a shelf.
- This is not a reproduction but an original piece dating from the early / mid-twentieth century.
- The Fu Dog is a legendary animal that repels evil spirits. Chinese lions are always represented in pairs, the female is accompanied by a lion cub (under her paw) when the male is playing with a globe (a ball / the world).
- In Chinese Buddhist temples, the guard on the right is always the male and the one on the left is the female. They are placed at the front door in order to protect the dwelling or the temple against negative Chi.