Wooden Small Statue - Little Buddha
Bouddha and Bodhisattva:
- Small statue of a Chinese monk in prayer position.
- Buddhist monks are also called bhiksu which literally means "beggar". This term is used in Buddhism since the monks can, in principle, set aside the food, so they need to beg.
- Buddhist monks are totally dependent from the generosity of the people (the laity) for their live which give us: monastic clothing, food, shelter and medicines.
- You should know that Buddhism had a great influence in China. There are currently more than 10,000 Buddhist temples throughout China.
- Buddhism was introduced in China in the first century and became in less than 300 years one of the three main spiritual currents (with Confucianism and Taoism).
- This Monk is in Lotus Position, it has a straight back (His torso is vertical and its spine is straight), each foot are on the opposite thigh and mans rest on the knees.
- This statue is made from an XIX century old wood.